Wednesday, October 7, 2009

the alchemy index




The Alchemy Index was a pretty divisive record for fans of Thrice. So many bagged on the new sounds and styles the band were exploring, and more than a few fans left the fold.

I'm a huge fan of Thrice and for me The Alchemy Index is a real cornerstone of why I love them so much. I don't think it's sustainable for a band to continue making the same music for their entire career, and I have a lot of respect for anyone who ignores their critics and follows their own creativity to where it takes them. Far fewer bands have ventured into such relatively strange territory and produced something so cohesive as a result.

For me the record's strongest tracks are on Water, the 2nd disc. There's a really great mix of electronics and a denseness to the guitars. I've seen the word 'sleepy' thrown around a lot when describing this record and it definitely has a floaty and ethereal aspect to a lot of the songs. It's a very eclectic set, and definitely one of those love/hate arrangements.

Ranting aside, I was stoked to pick this up still sealed for something like $US40 on ebay. It's a numbered box (I got 16/3000) and the packing is just stunning. Each of the 4 10" EPs is coloured after the element it represents and it's all enclosed within a beautiful book, filled with lyrics and little drawings. There was a problem with the pressing of the Earth discs, so another copy was supplied extra with my copy (including a note from Vagrant explaining).

I can't understand why this thing is so cheap, but it is - you would be wise to grab a copy as soon as possible as it's surely only going to increase in value as it ages.



























0 comments:

Post a Comment